Restaurant staffing was a struggle long before 2020, but it got even more difficult during the COVID-19 pandemic. In the case of Milo SRO in Santa Monica, Milo and Olive’s two-year sister restaurant, finding key kitchen staff to keep the pizzeria running has been so difficult that the last day will be October 10th.
According to Milo SRO’s Instagram page, the decision to close was a complicated one. It’s not just about finding enough employees, it’s about fighting burnout while keeping employees healthy and safe. “In order to run this place as well thought out and to the full as we wanted it to be, we honestly needed more staff. This is also an industry where burnout is rampant and the physical and mental wellbeing of our employees is so incredibly important to us. We will be relocating all of our dedicated staff to Milo and Olive, which provides a much-needed relief. “
In other news:
- Architect Gulla Jónsdótti designed Esperanza in Manhattan Beach, and Forbes describes it as “the prettiest new restaurant in Los Angeles”.
- There was a lot of chatter while dining at Inglewood’s SoFi Stadium, and LA Times staff member Jenn Harris rated which dishes are worth eating while playing the Rams or Chargers.
Forbes “interviewed” Piero Selvaggio, founder of Valentino and managing partner of Drago Centro.
Urban Daddy’s story about Zaca Creek will get you in the car right away and head to Buellton.
- For a trip into LA’s restaurant memory trail, get George Geary’s new book Made In California: The California-Born Diners, Burger Joints, Restaurants & Fast Food that Changed America. LAist’s interview is a snapshot of well-known names that have long since disappeared or are still standing.
- Where are the most stylish and delicious restaurants in the world? Architectural Digest scoured the fashion capitals of New York, Paris, London, and Milan just to find a few Los Angeles spots that made the list.
- For those with gluten intolerance, the Breadblok bakery in Santa Monica has introduced several new menu items: coffee and chocolate eclairs.